Feeling disconnected from your church?
You show up to every Sunday service, you listen to the songs, you listen to the sermon, and you place an offering in the basket. Every church has this same routine.
But for some reason, you may feel disconnected from the church you faithfully go to every Sunday.
You may feel as though you’re going out of habit or mere obligation, but as you leave, you feel even more guilty about sitting through that service.
If you feel as though you are not fully connected with the service, and you’re not motivated to participate, this may be a sign to find another church home. God may actually be calling you to to leave.
Before you make the decision to leave your church, you might want to consider the following:
- Can you relate the experiences in church to what you’re going through in real life?
- Are you not finding the support you need to strengthen your relationship with God?
- Have you developed meaningful relationships with the other members?
- Are you able to contribute in positive ways?
- Is your money being used well?
- Have you grown out of the church’s message?
While you may feel guilty by wanting to fellowship elsewhere, understand the difference between leaving your church and leaving God. Just because you want to leave your church doesn’t mean you’ve left God. God is everywhere.
If your church’s practices aren’t helping you encounter God’s love, this is a valid enough reason to leave. Leaving a church for the right reasons can actually strengthen your faith instead of weakening it. Your leaving should be because you want more spiritually, not because you’re holding a grudge against one of your church members.
Just because things didn’t work out with your church does not mean you should put God’s house on the back burner of your life.
Here are a few tips on seeking another church home:
- Ask your friends where they go
- Try out different churches in your area
- Church is just a building, online churches
- Disconnect your idea of God with the idea of church
- Go to the service with an open mind
Until you find a new, healthier church where you can grow more, be sure to keep up your spiritual disciplines. Pray and ask God to lead you to another church. Continue to read your bible daily. If you know other believers, reach out to them and meet up with them. Even while you’re in between local congregations, you are still a part of the universal church.